Top 12 Best Rappers in Africa: A rap song is a genre of music that includes poetry and rhythm, often spoken quickly and in style. Its conception goes back to the early 1960s in the United State Of America, Specifically among blacks. Since then it has evolved and exported practically in every country.It is loved by millions that you will always fall in love by its punchlines.
Many African musicians have claimed repute through using their capabilities and exploring this music genre. Some of the best rappers in Africa also are international icons.
In this article, we will be bringing to you the top 10 best rappers in Africa.
We’ll choose the top best rappers in Africa, primarily based on the reputation of their music, how well known they are, their business successes, worldwide collaborations, their impacts, and their awards amongst different things.
Top 12 African Rappers In 2023
1. NASTY C: Nasty C is an African top rapper. He has Nsikayesizwe David Junior Ngcobo as his full name. He is from South African, And he is a songwriter and a record producer.
Nasty C, was born on February 11, 1997. His current record label is “Def Jam Records”. He’s been effective since 2013 and was the youngest rapper to win an award, which includes the L Best Freshman Award 2015, Best New Artist, Best Male Album, and Best Hip Hop Album 2017.
He has been consistent with his performance, doing his best to win the hearts of his fans, and in fact, it has earned him a lot of love and international acclaim.
Nasty Best Songs includes, Phases, Allow, Legendary, Sma, Black and White Ft. Ari, Lennox, and All In.
2. KHALIGRAPH JONES: Brian Robert Ouko is the full name of khaligraph jones. He is well known for his hip hop and rap. He is a rapper from Kenya.
Khaki Graph Jones was born on 12th June 1990. His recent record label is ” Bahd Guy’s record”. He has being effective since 2013. At the African Muzik Magazine Awards (AFRIMMA) he received the Best Rap Performance Award in 2018, Best International Stream 2020. In which he was the first nominee from Kenya. Also best hip hop act in 2020.
Khaligraph has ascertained his writing skills and is one of the top African rappers. Appreciation to his pun and writing style. Also his intellectual manner of retelling stories.
Top Khaligraphs Songs includes, Testimony Ft Sagini, Jun Ya Ngori, Yes Bana Ft. Good, Hao Ft. Masauti ,987 Wavy Ft. Sarkodie.
3. CASSPER NYOVEST: Refiloe Maele Phoolo, as Cassper Nyovest full name. He is a rapper from South African, composer, dancer, businessman, and record producer.
December 16, 1990. His recent music record label is “Impact Sounds”. He has been active since 2004. He has won numerous awards including Channel O Music Video Awards (2014), Metro FM Awards (2015), MTV Africa Music Awards (2015, 2016), South Africa Music Awards (2015, 2017 2019), WatsUp TV Africa Music Video Awards (2016).
Casper Nyovest popular Songs includes, Tsholofelo, Refileo, Thuto, Sweet and Short, and Any Minute Now.
4. SHO MADJOZI: Sho Madjozi is one of the most outstanding female South African rappers. In addition to her rapping skills, Sho Madjozi is also outstanding for her fusion of Swahili and English. Her nice lyrics also make her songs funny and amazing.
Madjozi was born on May 9, 1992, her current record label is “Epic” and she has won many awards, including 2x South African Female Artist of the Year and Best Newcomer, 2019, Best International New Act, 2019, African Muzik Magazine Awards Best South African, 2019, Favorite African Star, 2020.
Sho Madjozi top Songs includes, Kona , Idhom , Wakanda Forever, Di Hawks, Like ft.Darassa.
5. SARKODIE: Sarkodie full name is Micheal Owusu Addo. He is a Ghanaian rapper, record producer and businessman, who has been in the music world for over a decade. He is one of the most famous music artists in Ghana. Sarkodie was born on July 10th, 1988.
His current record label is “Sarkcess”. He has been active since 2005 and has won so many awards, but recent awards includes the MTV Africa Music Awards (Best Hip Hop, 2014), EMY Awards (Best Artist, 2016), Daf BAMA Awards (Best African Performance, 2017), Ghana Entertainment Awards (Hiplife / Rap Act and Best Male Performance, 2018), All Africa Music Awards (Best Male Inspirierend Music Artist, 2018), Entertainment Achievements Awards (Event of the Year, 2021).
Sarkodie’s top songs include, Makye, Rapperholic, Sarkology, Mary, Highest, Alpha, Black Love, No Pressure.
6. AKA: Kiernan Jarryd Forbes, known by the stage name AKA, is a rapper from South African, composer, record producer, singer, and businessman. His rhythmic rap style has won the hearts of thousands of people.
Aka was born on January 28, 1988. Her current record label is “Sony Music Entertainment”. He has been active ever since 2002 and had won so many awards including Best Male Artist, 2012 and 2014, Music Video of the Year, 2020, Best Southern Male, 2015, Best Collaboration, 2014, Most Valuable Artist, Song of the Year, Best Digital Sales 2015, Best Single by Success, 2016, Favorite South African Star, 2019, Pan-African Artist of the Year 2019.
AKA Notable Songs includes, Alter Ego, Levels, Be Careful What You Wish For, Touch my blood, and Bhovamania.
7. FALZ: Falz’s full name is Folarin Falana. He is a rapper from Nigerian, composer, and actor. He is a hip-hop artist who is loved for his unique style of rap. Her songs had great humor and traditional indigenous Nigerian sounds fused with contemporary sounds.
Falz was born on October 27, 1990. His current record label is “Bahd Guys Records“. He has been active since 2009 and has won many awards including the BET Awards (Viewers Choice Best New International Acts, 2016). City People Entertainment Awards (Album of the Year: Storie That Touch, 2016), Headies Awards (2016, 2019, and 2020).
Popular songs by Falz includes, Soldier Ft. Simi, Ello Bae, Foreign Ft. Simi, Wehdone Sir, Marry Me, Bop Daddy, One Trouser, and Squander.
8. PHYNO: Chibuzor Nelson Azubuike is popularly known as phyno. He is a rapper from Nigeria, composer, and record producer. Phyno is popularly known for rapping in his dialect (Igbo language). He also raps in Pidgin English. He was born on 9th October 1986 and his current record label is “Penthouse
He has been active since 2003 and has won many awards, including 3 Headies Awards: Best Collaboration (Ghost Mode ft. Olamide and Best Rap Single Man of the Year, both 2013), Best Rap Single (Parcel 2014), Nigerian Entertainment Awards (Best Collabo, 2013), City People Entertainment Awards (Rap Artist of the Year, 2014).
Popular phyno Tracks includes, Alobamu, Shutdown, Ghost Mode Ft. Olamide, Fada Fada, Man of the Year, Finance Woman sq ft, Augment, Ride for You ft Davido.
9. NADIA NAKAI: Nadia Nakai is a female rapper from South Africa, composer, and TV personality. Nadia Nakai is a brilliant and exceptionally talented rapper. The rapper was raised by a South African father and a mother from Zimbabwe.
Nadia Nakai was born on 18th May 1990. Her recent record label is “Family Tree”.
She has been active since 2011 and has won awards including Zimbabwe Music Artist of the Year, 2018, 2x South African Best Female, 2019; Best Video, 2020, All African Music Awards (Best Female Artist in Southern Africa), SA Style Awards (Most Stylish Artist, 2020).
Nadai Nakai top Songs, MoneyBack, Naaa Meaan ft. Cassper Nyovest, The Man ft Cassper Nyovest, Imma Boss, Amai, Kreature, and 40 Bar.
10. M.ANIFEST: He is a rapper from ghana, singer and composer, who is wonderful at what he does in the rap industry. The rapper began his career in high school and released his first solo album In 2017. M.anifest was born on 20th November 1983. His recent music record label is singitdamnit music.
He has been active since 2005 and has won many awards including, best rapper of the year, 2013, and 2017, 4syte music video awards( best special effects 2016) best individual Style, 2016, International Midem ‘Coup de Coeur’ Awards, France, (Midem Best Artist, 2017), AFRIMA award (Best Artist in Hip Hop, 2018).
Best Songs by M.Anifest, Makaa Maka, Sugar ft. Brymo, Be My Woman, Rapper 101, Another Story, and Confusion.
11. M. I. Abaga: On October 4, 1981, in Jos, Plateau State, to Mr. and Mrs. Abaga, rapper, accomplished record producer, songwriter, and musician Jude Abaga, C.E.O. of Chocolate City M.I., was born. He began singing professionally in 2003 after moving to Nigeria. The release of the well-known song “Safe” was the result of his early mixtape recording endeavors with his pal Djinee.
The “Nigerian King of Rap,” M.I (Mr. Incredible) Abaga, rose to fame in 2006 and is known for many successful tracks, including those from his debut album “Talk about it” (2008). He is one of the best-known rappers to have performed on the African continent, and he has once been crowned the rap King of Nigeria and Africa. Many times in the past, he has been named the top rapper in Africa. M. I have won a few honors, including Best New Act and Best Hip Hop, at the MTV Africa Music Awards. He has traveled to numerous nations in Africa, America, and Europe.
12. Jovi: Rapper, composer, sound engineer, entrepreneur, and record producer Jovi (Ndukong Godlove Nfor) is from Cameroon. After Jovi’s breakthrough single, “Don 4 Kwat,” came “Pitié,” which was released on the Mumak label he co-founded and featured Congolese vocalist Tabu Ley Rochereau.
Co-writing and co-producing Akon’s playlist-worthy song “Shine the Light” is one of his most illustrious achievements. The term “mbokogang,” which refers to Jovi’s fans, is currently one of the most impressive in Cameroon music.
In reality, everyone has their own opinion about who is the best for them. Overall, we can proudly say that Africa has finally produced several rap artists who can compete with their peers from the larger continents. African rappers have had the most successful songs not just in their homeland but across Africa and the world in general.