Are you considering applying to the Nigerian Maritime University, NMU? Then it is important you know a bit about the institution and what it offers.
Let’s briefly look at that.
About the Nigerian Maritime University
The global maritime economy has become increasingly knowledge-driven, necessitating the production of local high-level professionals imbued with a requisite dosage of nationalism and patriotism. In February 2018 the National Universities Commission (NUC) gave the approval to commence degree programs in the University. To enable the University to commence academic activities in the 2017/2018 academic session a well-developed temporary site located at Kurutie town has been acquired for the University. The University took off with three Faculties, thirteen Programmes/ Departments and a school of Basic studies. The Faculties and programs are:
Courses Offered in Nigerian Maritime University, NMU
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Marine Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Petroleum & Gas Engineering
- Marine Economics and Finance
- Nautical Science
- Ports Management
- Transport & Logistics
- Marine Geology
- Environmental Management & Pollution Control
- Fisheries & Aquaculture
- Meteorology & Climate Change.
The philosophy of the Nigeria Maritime University is informed by the quest by Nigeria to become one of the foremost nations in the world in the training of professionals and investors in the maritime economy. The philosophy also derives from the abundance of maritime resources and opportunities in the country waiting to be developed and transformed through training and research. Beneficiaries of the University’s programmes are expected to be competitive in the global market place and to serve as the corps of skilled, technical personnel, inventors and investors who shall support Nigeria’s vision to become a key player in the world’s maritime industry and economy.
- To encourage the advancement of knowledge in the maritime sector and to hold out to all persons without distinction of race, creed, sex, or political conviction the opportunity of acquiring higher education in maritime technology and allied fields.
- To provide courses of instruction and training leading to the award of degrees, diplomas, and certificates in fields of maritime training /industry.
- To encourage scholarship and to conduct research in all fields related to the maritime industry.
- To develop infrastructure and facilities for the design and production of maritime vessels and equipment.
- To relate the activities of the University to the social and economic needs of Nigeria.
- To undertake any other activities appropriate for a maritime institution.
These combined assets make Nigeria one of the most blessed nations in maritime and aquatic abundance. The Nigeria Maritime University shall be the citadel of the technical and engineering knowledge that shall transform these natural resources into renewable and inexhaustible wealth, to create jobs and enterprises and to fortify Nigeria’s international trade and national sovereignty.