If you’re looking to immigrate to Canada as a Software Designer you’re in luck! Software Designers are in demand right across Canada and you may be able to secure a Canadian Permanent Residency Visa either with or without a job offer.
If you are a Software Designer and have been working as a Software Designer you may qualify to immigrate to Canada.
Migrate to Canada as a Software Designer
Every occupation on the Canada NOC List is assigned an immigration code and the code for those looking to emigrate to Canada as a Software Designer is 2173. This is also known as the NOC Code for Software Engineers.
No doubt you will have read online that having a job offer to move to Canada is a prerequisite to accessing the Express Entry process but as a Software Designer you also have other options to secure your Canada Visa from the start.
For starters, Software Designers are eligible to apply for Canada Immigration under the Canadian Government’s Immigration program due to the demand for Software Designers in Canada being so great they have included the occupation on the targeted occupations list, known as the NOC list (National Occupation Code In Demand List).
The code for Software Designers on the NOC is 2173
This is great news for Software Designers the world over hoping to live and work in Canada.
Express Entry for Canada is not a visa class at all, it is simply the method (or database) that Canadian Immigration uses to select the right candidates for a permanent residency visa and in that case, as a Software Designer looking to immigrate to Canada we’ll be looking at the Federal Skilled Worker visa and Provincial Nominee program.
Software Designers from all over the world are eligible to make an Express Entry for Canada Residency provided they have the right skills, experience, and qualifications in their home country.
Software Designers looking to move to Canada to work under this NOC category 2173, might be employed under work titles including:
- application architect
- artificial intelligence (AI) designer
- cloud administrator
- cloud architect
- cloud engineer
- computer applications engineer
- computer software engineer
- computer telecommunications software specialist
- embedded software engineer
- simulation software design engineer
- software architect
- software design engineer
- software design supervisor
- software design verification engineer
- software designer
- software engineer
- software systems designer
- software systems integration engineer
- software technical architect
- software testing engineer
- systems applications engineer
- systems architect
- systems engineer – software
- telecommunications software engineer
- telecommunications software specialist
All these roles held by a Software Designer are eligible to apply under this specific NOC category of 2173.
Skills and Tasks to Immigrate to Canada as a Software Designer.
In general Software Designers moving to Canada will be able to demonstrate knowledge or experience of the following:
Software engineers and designers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Collect and document users’ requirements and develop logical and physical specifications
- Research, evaluate and synthesize technical information to design, develop and test computer-based systems including mobile applications
- Develop data, process and network models to optimize architecture and to evaluate the performance and reliability of designs
- Plan, design and co-ordinate the development, installation, integration and operation of computer-based systems including mobile applications
- Assess, test, troubleshoot, document, upgrade and develop maintenance procedures for operating systems, communications environments and applications software
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of information systems professionals in the development of software and integrated information systems, process control software and other embedded software control systems.
- A bachelor’s degree, usually in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering or mathematics or completion of a college program in computer science is usually required.
- A master’s or doctoral degree in a related discipline may be required.
- Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
- Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering, and passing a professional practice examination.
- Experience as a computer programmer is usually required.
Whilst the above is meant as a general guide do take our free online visa assessment for further information and be sure to list out your skills and qualifications in detail.
Emigrate Canada has a dedicated IT Industry Workers desk that only represents IT, Industry Workers, to immigrate to Canada. They understand your profession and can talk your language when it comes to explaining your immigration pathway and the route to securing a Canada Visa for you (and your family).
Qualifications required to Immigrate to Canada as a Software Designer
- A bachelor’s degree, usually in computer science or in mathematics or completion of a college program in computer science is usually required.
- Computer programming experience is usually required.
How to Immigrate to Canada as a Software Designer
The first stage in your Canadian immigration process is to calculate your Canada Immigration points for Express Entry using the Canadian Comprehensive Ranking System.
As well as providing you with important CRS points these for Software Designers also count towards your overall Immigration Points score which must equal or exceed a total of 67
Take our free online visa assessment for an up-to-date report on whether you have enough points to immigrate to Canada as a Software Designer from both an Express Entry and Immigration points perspective.
Once you receive an ITA (Invitation to apply) from Canadian Immigration as a result of your Express Entry application you’ll only have 60 days in which to lodge a formal application so under no circumstances should you lodge an Express Entry application ‘claiming’ to have certain points without first having all of your points verified through different testing, education equivalence certificates, and skilled worker assessments.
Once you are invited to apply for your Canada Visa you cannot go back and have these things verified retrospectively, they must be done before you claim any points for them, and given that your express entry profile is only valid for one year it makes sense to present the best possible case right from the start.
Before you lodge your express entry we will help you through the process of having your qualifications and certificates verified as required by immigration.