Challenges Of Teaching
Teaching is one of those admirable and respected professions across the globe. The relevance and input of the teaching profession to the society is enormous, for without teachers, the society cannot grow. The emphasis being laid on the imperative demands of education all boil down to direct demand on teachers. Just like every other profession, teaching is faced with a number of challenges which although may differ in intensity, but may not be utterly avoided because such challenges form integral part of executing the job. In this article, we shall look at the problems of teaching.
Problems/Challenges Of Teaching
There are various challenges we shall talk about few of them
2. Maintaining updated curriculum: The academic system is evolving. The syllabus today may not be the syllabus tomorrow. There are a lot of developments and innovations ongoing. This makes it a task for teachers to be up to date with the curriculum. Teachers are therefore sanctioned by the nature of their job on a steady research.
When new curriculums are developed, it does not mind whether or not the teachers are skilled and knowledgeable in the area of development. This becomes a challenge for teachers to go on a voyage of further discovery in other to be able to teach students. In a case where they are unable to maintain an updated curriculum, it seems that nothing much can be done about it.
3. Marking and grading of scripts: Here is another difficult aspect of a teaching job. Marking and assessing the students can be difficult because, one, the standard of assessment has to be determined in a manner that is ordinarily fair and at the same time, adequate to all the students. It further creates an extra task.
4. Patience to teach: It is possible for one to love being a teacher, but lack the patience required to become one. The job of a teacher is utterly defined by patience.
It takes patience to impact knowledge. There is need to prepare notes, structure and control the thought process of the students to think in the direction of the teacher and the demands of the topics being taught. A teacher in fact, takes charge of the mind of the students. It also tak es patience to mark and grade scripts. This requires skill and patience. The patience is still required
5. Maintaining a one class: A teacher is expected to carry all the students along in a class where there are various people with diverse thought process and learning speed. This is a challenge, and every teacher does face it.
6. Positive relationship with students: The relationship between teachers and students is generally and ethically expected to be in a certain way. There is need to build teacher-students relationship. This is an attribute of a good teacher.
The demands in this respect are there, and it is pivotal and reflects in the students’ learning ability. Positive relationship is therefore needed and not a hostile one. More so, boundaries must be drawn, for it makes up positivity as required in a teacher-student relationship. There is also need to treat all students with equality and avoid making your preference of students so glaring.
7. Bulk of courses and workload: In many institutions, teachers take more than one course and more than one class. This is s burden on the teachers and a call for concern.
8. Managing time effectively: Effective time management is a common demand in a teaching job. There are a lot of functions expected of a teacher inclusive and exclusive of classroom activities. The ability to manage time effectively in all fields of work is what determines success.
9. Corruption in promotions: Teachers in all levels of studies are graded according to level. The level determines the entitlements of the teachers. It is therefore the aim of every teacher to get to the top and retire at the top. Because of this personal need, corruption is bound to ensue. The process of promotion can therefore be tampered with and the rights of another may be stampeded at all cost. There is also need to meet the requirement for promotion, and this may come in form of promotion examinations.
10. Inefficient communication skill: Effective teaching is substantially the exertion of one’s communication skill. One may have the passion, qualification, knowledge and other skills for teaching but be missing out on communication skill which is of high importance.
In summary, regardless of the challenges, teaching is still an interesting job as long as the passion exists. These challenges having been taking note of, and should they be worked one, will surely make way for a better working condition and better output.
I hope you find these article helpful as well.